Wednesday 11 June 2008

Today started much as yesterday with Heidi waking as the dawn chorus started outside. I fed and changed her and she then drifted back to sleep. I was woken by the telephone at 0715 and could hear Dad downstairs chatting. He is off to work today, cutting grass ready for silage. I grab a quick shower, change and catch him in the kitchen making his Thermos. By now Mum has emerged from upstairs and I manage to have breakfast before Heidi’s next feed.

Her trip downstairs to the kitchen is again met with jubilant greetings as her Gran and Grampy jockey for position to give her a kiss before her mouth becomes too milky. She guzzles down the feed and provides everyone with a big burp and then closes her eyes and snoozes in Gran’s arms whilst I wash the dishes and make her day’s feeds.

It then happened. But I missed it. I had just popped out into the garage with some rubbish and I heard a commotion coming from the house. She had apparently smiled at Grampy as he said cheerio to her as he was about to leave for work. Now I don’t know whether this was wind, but it made his day and he went off to work a very happy Grampy. Heidi is obviously taking after Freddie in the flirtation stacks.

Another visit into the village today meant more admiring glances. I strolled back to the house. The sun was still bright with a light breeze and all the birds chirping in the trees when a butterfly flapped by my ear. I turned to see which direction it went, but it was nowhere to be seen. For a few seconds time stood still and my skin developed goosebumps. Once again my thoughts ventured to Freddie – I am sure he is just saying hello to his Mum and his little sister.

We were due to visit Audrey today at the farm, but she warned me of a cough and cold that she had and we both decided it was not a good idea to venture out into the sticks today. Hopefully next week she will be better and then I can papoose Heidi on a walk around old haunts.

Heidi had a quite afternoon after yesterdays visits. We all had a siesta in the summerhouse in the garden. Sally popped down after work to see Heidi and hopefully get a glimpse of her with her eyes open, but in true Heidi style she remained asleep.

Later John and Helen from the bungalow opposite popped in and Heidi enjoyed a cuddle with Helen before it was time again for another rest. The afternoon soon turned into early evening and bathtime before settling down for the evening.

No comments: