Thursday 12 June 2008




Just after 0400 this morning, Heidi woke again with the birds, but accompanied by rain. We had hoped for another dry and bright day today, but showers had returned and peering through the curtains proved me right. After her early morning feed and nappy change she returned to her Moses basket and lay awake looking around her and at me and listening to all the usual sounds from that time of the day.

I remembered, luckily, that the electricity was going to be switched off for a short period this morning as Western Power do some repair works in the village. So planned to military precision, I boiled the kettle and washed and sterilised the bottles just in case. I returned to bed where she was drifting off to sleep, the rain still pattering against the window.

0700 arrived and I showered and changed and went down for breakfast leaving her ladyship fast asleep. Half way through my bran flakes there was a cry and I then gathered that Gran must have said morning to her. I found Gran smiling at her over the Moses and informing me that Heidi was ready for a feed and change. I carried her downstairs, got her to smile at Grampy and gave her a bottle which she gulped down in one go and then gave an enormous burp much to everyone’s delight. I managed then to finish my, by now soggy, bran flakes and lukewarm tea whilst Gran took over the reins and I then washed up and did a few chores as Heidi was held in Gran’s hands looking at Grampy and looking very cute.

Today was exciting as a visit into the village brought an early birthday present for Gran – an exercise bicycle. Wendy and Kevin brought up the cycle to show her as they wanted to sell theirs and it was decided that Tim and myself would purchase it for her birthday as it was something she wanted. Heidi remained asleep in her pushchair totally oblivious.

She also met Linda for the first time. Linda and her husband Mike were in Bristol during Freddie’s last week there. Mike’s son, George, was in intensive care very ill at the time and we met on several occasions to exchange news. George passed away the week before Freddie. I remember speaking to Linda on my mobile in the garden outside of Freddie’s room in Exeter Hospital and realising that soon the time would come for us to say goodbye. We couldn’t have imagined that a year later there would be a little sister for him. As explained in yesterday’s blog, we are sure he comes to say hello sometimes. Those who knew Freddie will know the association with the butterfly.

I visited Freddie again today and tidied up his flowers and gave them some water. I had a chat to him and then returned to find Gran and Heidi who were emerging from the paper shop. I took over the reins and took Heidi to Bowdens to see Auntie Joyce who has been wanting to see Heidi but we kept missing each other. It is then home for some lunch (no soggy bran flakes hopefully).

The afternoon proved very quiet. I did Gran’s ironing whilst she gave Heidi more cuddles and pottered around the garden and listened to more bird song.

We had one visitor this afternoon. Sally came again to borrow the wheelbarrow and some timber from my woodstore to make a ramp for her “gardening activities” tomorrow. She found Heidi with her eyes wide open which she was pleased about and gave her another cuddle. Cuddle batteries now full.

Teatime arrives and so did Tim. We loaded up the car, had tea with Gran and then headed off home.

No comments: