Tuesday 10 June 2008

Day broke and we listened to the birds outside with their dawn chorus. Heidi was shuffling in her moses basket so it was milk time. I managed to prepare the bottle and change her nappy without a dawn chorus of her own to wake the house. She returned to her basket afterwards and we lay staring at each other. She produced a small smile and closed her eyes to continue her kip.

After a short snooze, soon it was 0700 and time for me to get up whilst Heidi slept on. I managed to get to the bathroom, shower and get ready for the day before she woke. Time for breakfast. I took the empty bottles downstairs from the night feeds and returned to the bedroom to find that Gran had got there first and was busy tickling Heidi. She was well and truly awake by now. I carried her downstairs as Gran led the way to the kitchen and proudly announced to Grampy that she was awake and looking for milk.

She soon settled down after the feed and slept again, fully contented, as I did various tasks.

Today is going to be a very busy day with lots of people seeing her for the first time. I choose a sun dress and matching hat. Her Gran noted the lack of knickers for Heidi, so the stripy ones from yesterdays outfit were brought into action. Another feed and then it was time to face Heidi’s public as we left for Chagford Square. We had only just left the house and a neighbour came bounding up the road for a glimpse of her ladyship in the pushchair, however she was asleep and by now the sun hat had covered her eyes. I lifted the brim and she blinked. That was the last we saw of her eyes all morning as she refused to open them and slept all the way through her visit into the village and 20 or so onlookers who now think she constantly sleeps.

We visited the Bullers Arms for a well earned coffee and met with Wendy, Doreen and Terry who were also eager to see her, but she remained asleep, much to Wendy’s annoyance as she wanted a cuddle. Better luck next time Wendy.

After a short rest stop, I gave handling instructions to Gran on the pushchair and particularly how to put on the brakes as I headed to the florist for some yellow carnations and then down to spend a few minutes with Fred. It was decided earlier that it was best I didn’t take Heidi down this time as it was a struggle during the last visit as I had to manoeuvre the pushchair, flowers and watering can down the hill and over the grass. Wendy accompanied me to see Fred as she was going home that way. The blackbirds are still singing above him and the windmill turned occasionally.

I left Wendy to go her own way and returned to the square where I met up with Gran and some more admirers. Time to make a quick retreat home I think as milk time was again approaching and this afternoon she had more visitors.

After lunch we had a visit from Shena, Wendy (neighbour) and Dorothy, Tony and their friend Molly.

The day finished with a well-earned bath, another feed and bed, although by now she had slept so much during the day, her eyes were wide open and bright which probably means a sleepless night for me, but never mind, its another day of adventures tomorrow. Happy days.

No comments: