Monday 9 June 2008


A change of circumstances today means a change in author, so Rachel Wills signing in for the next few days……

I hate Monday mornings. Tim goes back to work today, half-heartedly and wishes he was having another day with Heidi and me, pottering around in the sun. Exactly a month ago I was getting ready to go into Torbay Hospital ready for my pre-op assessment. It was a rather miserable day then, cloudy and wet, a contrast to today as when I woke at 0530 this morning to feed Heidi the sun was up and another warm day was evident. After the “bottom change” for Heidi I catch off to sleep again and then wake at 0700 to go and do the bottle wash and kettle boil for the day’s feeds. Tim remains asleep and so does Heidi.

After the morning chores, Tim decides to make the effort to launch himself into work mode and goes off to the bathroom whilst I look at Heidi snoozing in her moses basket.

Today is a big day. Not only the fact that Tim is back to work, but Heidi and myself are going to spend a few days at my Mum and Dad’s up on the moor. Today is also the home visit from the Health Visitor, so after yesterdays spruce up of the house, I am able to get things ready for the big journey to Chagford.

As high noon approaches (the time of the Health Visitor appointment), I feed Heidi and get her changed into her best clobber. Mum and Dad arrive as I am out in the garden pacing up and down trying to get the last bit of wind up (from Heidi that is). Mum is armed with plants to put in my hanging baskets and Dad heads to the shed to fire up the lawnmower. After a wait which seems ages, I gaze at the clock. 1300 hours and no sign of the Health Visitor. I phone her office. She has forgotten the appointment and it is re-arranged for Friday, so the Marigolds will have to be put into action again for the re-arranged visit.

We soon load up the car with all the baby paraphernalia and head off. Heidi sleeps for the entire journey and then wakes with an enormous cry when she realises that is must be milk time again. After a feed and cuddle with Gran, she rests in her moses basket and again snoozes for the rest of the afternoon.

After a teatime bath and another feed (and another cuddle with Gran) she settles down for the evening listening to the doves cooing on the chimneypot outside.

Sleep time does not last long and she is awake and eager to investigate Gran and Grampy’s house. This means her first sporting experience – a Speedway meeting on Sky TV which Grampy is settling down to watch. I have to say now that she has to be inaugurated into the world of speedway (I was spoon fed it as I was growing up). Indeed if I was a boy, I would have been called Neil after one of Dad’s favourite riders, Neil Street. Luckily for Heidi, there are currently no women riders. Dear Freddie was NOT named after a speedway rider although Dad confirmed that there was of course Freddie Lingren!. She seems to enjoy it and stays awake for half the meeting, but Mr Sandman gets the best of her and she soon drifts off to sleep, probably dreaming of tomorrow and whether there’s another speedway meeting to watch.

No comments: