Monday 28 July 2008

Many of you will have noted during my entries and postings on Heidi’s ‘blog as well Freddie’s, my references to Wetherspoons pubs, and how we often frequent them.

Whilst Rachel and I love cooking our own food from scratch we appreciate a bargain and so Wetherspoons provides us with a reliable place to go for some grub and beer occasionally. In Bristol, The Commercial Rooms was a smoke free and safe place for either, or both of us plus visitors to get some food at a reasonable price when taking an hour out of the hospital environment.

The nominated charity for Wetherspoons is CLIC Sargent and their original aim was to raise £2,000,000 which was recently met, and exceeded by £100,000. They now intend to raise another £1,000,000 which hopefully will be a similar success. Those who hang out in these places will know that liberally sprinkled about the pub (plus the various menus and cards that are on the tables….) are copies of Wetherspoon News, a magazine covering all sorts of topics relating to feedback from customers, to commentary on the governments stance on binge drinking and how the company fit in with the whole thing.

The magazine also is a platform to raise awareness of CLIC Sargent through the constant fundraising efforts of its pubs, staff and customers. From small leg waxing events to marathons it shows how they as a company are supporting a very worthwhile cause.

We read the magazine regularly so I contacted Wetherspoons to ask if I could write a short paragraph or two about how CLIC helped us in a practical way, hoping really to make readers understand that Joe Public are affected by the disease and you can really find yourself in a situation like we did.

They responded and were interested in my ramblings so I drafted a response and have recently had contact with CLIC about my submission.

They liked my words and so they (should) be publishing my article in the August edition of the magazine nationally in their pubs. I have not seen the final copy yet but hopefully not too many changes will have occurred in the transition between our experience and what is interesting reading.

Whilst I do not intend to sit in the pub slumped signing copies whilst I sip ‘Magners’ with my breakfast toast at 0900h, you may wish to drop a few pennies in the pink collection jars on the bar if you get to read it.

No comments: