Wednesday 16 July 2008






Another sunny morning, which looked good for the plans which are set for today.

Heidi had had a good night and had slept from 2200h through to 0530h where she had her breakfast. The routine is I do the nappy and R feeds H. All the stuff is her side of the bed (including H) and so this seems to work well.

I have today and tomorrow off. It is a national Unison strike day, so I have combined leave with a bit of militant action. Had I not been “short changed” the other month when I was on paternity leave I would probably have taken it as no pay, but needs must, and so I used leave instead.

On Father’s Day I gave my dad a ticket for the Lindstrand Helium Balloon flight, which has appeared this year, on Torquay seafront. I wanted to go on it too, so purchased two tickets, which are valid for a year. Every weekend we have wanted to go has seen it grounded due to poor weather, or good weather but too strong a breeze. It really does shift about when it is tethered. I give the “Balloon Hotline” a call and they confirm that indeed it is flying today. A quick call to dad who is clearing the hedge trimmings from the side of the house means we are ready to roll.

Once there we manage to park on the road, a few feet away from the balloon which is even better. It looks much larger than when I drive by it several times a day, and is soon in flight as we look up. It is a bit of a spectacle to behold, even in this day and age. Basic but fascinating.

We go through to the benched area, which I suppose a sort of Departure Lounge and await the return of this flying machine. Just two other people are waiting. Apparently it will fly even if there is one of you waiting which is good if you can time it right. Anyway, before the gondola hits the ground a few German women arrive, chattering away noisily and sit down like the rest of us. Once we are summoned to climb aboard the pilot explains that only five passengers can board this time because of the wind. Dad and I would be number three and four so a solo passenger is needed. Regardless of this, the Germans forge ahead of us clambering to get aboard before us, and it looks like we will not get on. I manage to point out to the pilot the error of the Germans ways, and they are disembarked, completely in the dark as to why, despite much gesticulating and slow speaking.

As we ascend, I give our European friends a little wave as they get smaller and smaller, to
which they surprisingly wave back.

20 minutes later we return to ground, and head off to the seafront and drive home. I think dad enjoyed it very much.

Heidi was with R all this time and slept well, watching the artificial fish on her bouncer and real ones in the tank.

I took her out for the afternoon around town and over to mum and dad’s. In town I visited the antique shop and saw a rather splendid horn gramophone, which at £350.00 is reasonable. However, I have a cabinet one that needs a clean up before I move it on, and it is a bit of a luxury. A bargain though.

Heidi is doing all sorts with her hands now, and this can actually be quite disruptive – pulling things out purposely, or blocking your hands to get at her.

Another journey tomorrow though…..

No comments: